The Muslim Public Affairs Centre (MPAC) is a leading public service and leadership development organisation that operates on the core Islamic values of justice, mercy, human dignity, freedom, equality for all and sanctity of human life.
MPAC is a project based and volunteer-driven organisation with social and human development activities covering: Advocacy, Outreach, Projects and Lobbying, with the mission to serve humanity and work for an inclusive society.
Following expansion and growth in our activities and the need to constantly reinvent our strategies and operating models to better represent and serve the Ummah and our communities, we are inviting applications from suitably qualified candidates for the position of Head, Research, Policy and Advocacy to join the MPAC management team as we navigate the ‘next normal’ changing world.
Brief on the Role
Research that is evidence based, data driven and scientifically proven. Policy advocacy that seeks to inform and shape public opinion and policy by serving as a trusted resource to decision makers in government at the federal, sub-national and local levels as well as policy institutions.
Enrich the Nigerian society and further amplify a mainstream voice to local and global discourse by engaging in compelling advocacy to achieve change as well as authoring policy papers on religious, socio-cultural and economic issues and presenting these perspectives and insights to the appropriate constituencies.
We are a supportive and ambitious team looking for a creative team member with a strong research, policy and advocacy skillset. The selected candidate will assist MPAC meet its goals of achieving results in a rapidly changing world of high-stakes policy, high-profile advocacy, strategic planning and thorough analysis.
Under direct supervision of the Executive Chairman, the Head of Research, Policy Advocacy will be responsible for developing a set of policy papers and conduct policy advocacy activities for MPAC, through consultations with relevant stakeholders and authorities.
S/he will carry out the following tasks:
- Prepare policy documents.
- Carry out quick impact analysis of programmes and projects of MPAC.
- Identify and document best practices and learning points for policy inputs and projects formulation.
- Management of research projects on contemporary issues including defining research questions/topics/timelines
- Communicating the results of research projects to internal and external constituents through a variety of avenues (research reports, convening, training, conference presentations, web resources, etc.)
- Researching in depth policy issues and concerns as they affect the Ummah and our local communities
- Providing background information that will form the content of MPAC policy response papers.
- Writing, editing, and quality control for research reports/presentations
- Research and prepare body of works that have societal value.
- Research into effective ways of unlocking funding for projects and interventions.
Preferably a Master’s Degree or Post-Graduate Diploma degree in:
- Information and communication systems,
- Computer science,
- Development studies or
- Relevant social science and humanities discipline.
- Knowledge and understanding: broad knowledge and understanding of quantitative and qualitative methodologies as well as summative and formative research models, knowledge of data sources. Numerate skill is essential.
- Strong written/oral communication skills: prior demonstrated research and report generation from which action, policy or system change was an outcome; comfortable with public speaking and meeting facilitation; and ability to write impeccably in a variety of styles.
- Excellent administrative and project management skills, particularly in an environment with competing demands and overlapping projects
- Interpersonal skills: ability to work effectively with a wide array of constituencies and personalities, commitment and flexibility at all times. Ability to work collaboratively and you set an example in seeking and giving supportive feedback across the whole team.
- Advanced computer skills - Knowledge of MS Office and/or SPSS, as well as common web 2.0 tools, basic graphic design sense helpful.
- Strong work ethic and work history that would evidence commitment to MPAC’s mission.
- Significant experience of effective advocacy such as influencing government policy in its early stages; building majority support on legislation; or influencing public debates and collective actions. Track record of working effectively with internal and external stakeholders.
- Genuine passion for social, advocacy and development work.
- 4 weeks from the date of publication (i.e 17 Jan 2022). Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- All applications (with a covering letter) must be submitted electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org in Microsoft ® Word or pdf formats only.